Thursday, November 06, 2008

Happy Ending

So there was this bird. Little birdie, to be more accurate. And it was in the bank today. I don't think it came by for a friendly visit, as it found its way into the lobby via a hole in the ceiling (thanks to the leak caused by heavy downpour.)

It made a rather startling appearance about 3:00 this afternoon, and then flew straight up to the skylight at the tip top point of the roof. Where all the windows are. And where it was flitting around, chirping out for his family. And couldn't get to them.

I almost started crying, hearing him calling out, "Mama! Daddy! Help me, I can't get to you, I can't find you!!!"

Seriously, I could have watched a grown man fall and break all his front teeth out and not have been as upset as I was listening to him.

So at about 4 pm, he decided to try and find a way out. By going in the complete opposite direction as needed, to the Human Resources department in the back of the bank.

After flying into the copy room window, and then into the window of the head of HR (scared the snot out of her,) he then proceeded to repeatedly flutter against the SA department's window.

I grabbed a bag and tried to corner him, but he got away. Thankfully, he flew toward freedom this time and headed to the entryway of the bank. A co-worker and I grabbed our keys and ran after the little one, closing the lobby doors behind us.

At this point, the birdie was so scared and exhausted, I was able to coax him into hopping in my bag. My CO opened the door so I could carry him outside.

He hopped to the edge of the bag and sat for a moment, as if not believing he could be free.

The little one then flew off very quickly, to find his family.

I can imagine that he will be extra tucked in underneath his mama's wing tonight.

2 comments:

The Church Lady said...

good save.

Jaime said...

You're such a hero!!