Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Witnessing a Gracious Moment

I was standing near the back of the line at good ol’ Wal-Mart yesterday, and there was a family in the next line. They had a little girl, probably 4 years old, with a huge smile and very dirty hands, eating a bag of Funyuns.

She walked up to the lady in line behind me and offered her a chip. The lady smiled and said “thank you,” but didn’t take the chip. The girl stood there, holding out the Funyun, and her mom just looks at the lady and says "She loves to share,” with a look that said she expected this lady to take it! So she graciously and very kindly took the Funyun from the little girl, who was tickled pink to share.

As she secretly hid the chip in her hand, I couldn’t help but wonder what I would have done had the little girl offered one to me (even though I just love Funyuns!) I know (and regret) the look on my face when the mom “suggested” the lady take the chip. I admire this lady’s grace and child-lovingness to ignore grubby “I’ve been running around Wal-Mart and touching everything” child fingers to see the Funyun for what it was - a gift.

No comments: